We are looking for a few talented editors with expansive, interesting personal networks and experience editing stories. Paid guest editors will be invited to curate and edit a short series of Narratively stories, tapping your own network of contacts to help broaden and diversify our lineup of original storytelling.
Narratively is an award-winning publication dedicated to ordinary people with extraordinary stories. Our writers comb the world’s big cities and hidden corners for the characters and settings that the mainstream media isn’t finding. Narratively has an immersive, active form of storytelling. Each of our stories takes readers inside another world or another life, as told through vivid scenes and compelling narrative arcs.
At Narratively we publish experienced writers as well as first-time authors who have particularly unique stories to tell, so we’re looking for editors who are comfortable working with both. Each editor will be responsible for soliciting their own story ideas from writers in their networks, then shepherding them from pitch to publication.
We’re particularly interested in editors who can help us field stories that fit into one of these three main channels:
– Secret Lives: Lifting the veil on surprising and secretive jobs, pursuits and lives. Either first-person or reported, these stories take readers into a world they have never known.
– Renegades: Profiles of fearless rebels who are doing things their own way — and changing the world while they’re at it.
– Super Subcultures: Stories that take us inside fascinating communities, getting up-close and personal with people who build their lives around weird and wonderful obsessions.
(Our other main collections, Hidden History and Memoir, already have dedicated editors with a full lineup of upcoming stories, so we’re particularly interested in guest editors who are excited about one or more of the channels above.)
Guest Editors will be tasked with finding, assigning and developing three to five story ideas in one or more of the collections above over the next few months.
If you’re interested, drop us a line at [email protected] by October 8, 2018, with the subject line “Guest Editor” and:
1) Tell us a little about yourself, including your experience as a writer and editor.
2) Which of the above channels are you interested in finding stories for, and why? Please be sure to look through the channel and read several of our stories first. Or if you have an idea for a new story series that doesn’t fit into one of the channels above but feels perfect for Narratively, pitch us on a new series.
3) What network will you be tapping into in order to find writers and story ideas? We won’t be assigning story ideas to you—we’re looking for you to find the ideas, so tell us how you’ll go about doing that.